Monday, February 8, 2010

My Wine Grading System

By this point, I've written reviews on several different wines, and I feel that there's a need to somehow quantify how I feel about them. I'm not going to go so far as to assign a number grade or devise a complicated scoring system for them, but I think I've come up with a way to give you a better overall idea of what to expect should you decide to take my reviews to heart and try (or not waste your time on) the wines I've reviewed.

Also, keep in mind that any wine review or grade should be taken with a grain of salt, so to speak, because in the end, only you can decide whether or not you like a particular wine--after all, the best-reviewed wine in the world has little personal value if you don't like it! Wine reviews are merely meant to provide a starting point on which you build your expectations, much like food descriptions on a menu. Sometimes, those descriptions hit the nail on the head, but other times, they bear little resemblence to what you actually end up with.

My goal in writing this blog is to provide a frame of reference for people like me--people who have a limited budget and a similarly restricted knowledge of wine--and to encourage those who want to learn more about wine to do so by simply "diving in," just as I have.

Grading System:
- and below
Not so great; probably wouldn't buy again, due to either a lack of flavor or too high a price, or both

+/-
Not horrible, but not very good either; might possibly buy again in another vintage or allow to age longer

+
A good, balanced wine with few flaws; would likely buy again

++
Superb balance and flavor; one to buy again

+++
Excellent flavor and value; above average complexity and length for the price; will buy again in the future

++++
Simply amazing; outstanding flavor and value; one for the books

No comments:

Post a Comment