Monday, February 15, 2010

Barefoot Pinot Noir, $7

Barefoot's wines are among some of the most well-received bargain wines by critics for their relatively good quality-to-value ratio, and rightfully so. Their wines are "real" enough to pass muster with all but the hardest to please oenophile, and they cost much less than most decent wines on the market.

Billed by Barefoot as a "New Release", this one caught my curiousity at Walmart. I can't recall if I bought this wine at the same time or after the Robert Mondavi Pinot Noir (See my archive for its review) but I remember thinking it would provide a comparison point for the latter. At $7, it cost around $4 less than the Mondavi version.

On the nose, this variety is fairly diluted. There are hints of red fruit and flora, but it doesn't provide much to be sniffed.

This medium-bodied wine is similarly weak on the palate, albeit for the acidity, which is a little on the heavy side. Red fruit (cherry, raspberry) is predominate, but still doesn't provide much to think about. There is enough oak to add a touch more interest, but even it is vague in its perception.

I suppose it's because the Robert Mondavi Pinot Noir was so amazing in comparison, but I just can't seem to come up with much excitement for this one. It isn't bad, and it does go down easily with a smooth touch, but it doesn't have any length to speak of...In a matter of seconds, what flavors it does have to offer have already faded into oblivion. On the positive side, it didn't seem like the alcohol in this wine really affected me, but that's about all I can say...

When looking at the big picture, I would pay the extra $4 for the Robert Mondavi Pinot Noir in a heartbeat. There's just no way that this one can measure up to the pleasure that one provided, even though this is a good, basic, unoffensive red for a party or less discerning palates.

My Grade: +

No comments:

Post a Comment