Monday, February 22, 2010

2008 Watusi California Zinfandel, $7

Summertime in a Bottle

This fun, flirty Zin by Watusi is a delight to drink. It’s the first Zinfandel I’ve “formally” tasted, and it didn’t disappoint. Bright with prickly acidity and tannins, it provides excellent depth of flavors for a Zinfandel at this price point.

The Watusi Zinfandel is a medium-bodied strawberry red number that gives off aromas of red berries, florals, and a little oaky vanilla to round it out—in fact, I wrote down that it smells similar to a Cabernet.

On the palate, there are strong floral notes that dominate the first wave of flavors, along with strawberries and a trace of herbs. The floral taste lingers, but gives way to more red berries and a hint of peach, which gradually and subtly takes over and lingers on the finish.

This one may be too sweet for some (especially for the more exacting palate), but then again, Zinfandel isn’t a grape that conforms to French Bordeaux-loving standards either. If taken for what it is, this Zin is overflowing with joyous fruit flavors, and packs just enough acidity to balance out the residual sugar.

It turns out that this is not a very well-known wine, so it may be difficult to find; however, it just happened to grab my attention while heading for the checkout at World Market, and I’m glad I ended up buying a bottle of it. During what seems like a never-ending winter, this Zinfandel provides a glimpse of the bliss that is spring and summer!

P.S.--Sorry about the horribly blurry picture, guys...although I guess it kind of goes with this wine's illusiveness!

My Grade: ++++

4 comments:

Bebedores do Gondufo said...

Good blog.

Ashley said...

Why thank you! I'm glad to know someone's actually reading it! =)

jana said...

Hi there! My husband and I were just at World Market today and bought 4 bottles of wine, for less than $25, and this zin was one of them. I love it and your review is spot-on. Did you also notice that it has a sort of effervescence? I'll be buying more of this.

Ashley said...

Thank you! Don't you just love World Market?! I think it's an awesome place, and they have a great selection of reasonably-priced wine. I did notice the effervescence you're refering to--definitely not carbonated like sparkling wine, but just enough to add a fun fizziness! Thanks again for your feedback =)

Post a Comment