Tuesday, June 22, 2010

2008 Montes Malbec, $11

Okay, being that tomorrow would make two months since my last post, I decided I better get with it and get some reviews on here! As with the last (unintentional) "break" I took from my blog, I do have several new wine reviews to share with you...Six, in fact! I've been so busy lately that time has been flying by at lightning speed, and I honestly didn't realize how much I've been slacking with getting my reviews posted until I counted the ones since my last post!

So, without further adieu, here it is:
I bought this one from World Market in March for $11. Montes is a Chilean winery noted for their red wines, and their Malbec is no exception. Although their Alpha Series is the more critically-acclaimed line, its higher price matches its reputation.

Purple-hued and full-bodied with plenty of jammy sour cherry, plum, and spicy American oak on the nose, it has pleasant, supple tannins that lend a nice structure and mouthfeel.

The same notes continue on the palate, with the oak nicely complementing the cherry/plum flavors. It could use a little more sweetness to balance out the acidity, but overall, a nice wine.

My Grade: ++

No comments:

Post a Comment