Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Barefoot Moscato, $5

Barefoot is one of the more well-known and widely available "bargain" brands of wine, but generally unremarkable in my (limited) experience. In the past, I've sampled their Pinot Noir (which had no chance in surpassing the Robert Mondavi version I had tried just before) and their Zinfandel, which made it into "The Wine Trials 2010" but did not impress me. The brand is reasoably priced, but considering that for virtually the same cost I can get a bottle of [yellow tail], there's no contest. [yellow tail]'s wines are delicious, and especially so since they're such a steal.

That being said, my latest Barefoot endeavor was remarkably more satisfying than my previous ones. Described as "deliciously sweet" on the bottle, the pale yellow Barefoot Moscato is filled with yummy fruit and is very definitely sweet, but still balanced with just enough acidity.

On the nose, this white wine offers notes of white grape, stone fruit, and citrus. A noteable sweetness is at the forefront on the tongue, giving way to plenty of juicy fruit (peach and citrus), which continue for a very respectable finish for a cheap, less "serious" wine!

By now my readers have probably noticed that I tend to favor red varieties, but this has been my favorite white wine thus far. I think part of the reason I enjoyed it so much is because it's the most honest, straightforward wine I've tried from Barefoot. As I said, it's definitely not "serious," and it's extremely unlikely that it would impress a wine critic; however, in its playfulness it isn't trying to be something it's not, which makes me love it even more.

My Grade: ++++

No comments:

Post a Comment