Friday, April 23, 2010

2007 Ravenswood Vintners Blend Zinfandel, $10

If you're a wine buff, you probably already know that Ravenswood is one of the big names in Zinfandel, and for good reason, as I recently found out. This is another of the three bottles of wine I bought at World Market in March, and I paid around $10 for it.

This full-bodied, dark ruby red Zin gives off tantalizing aromas of sour cherry, oaky vanilla, and just a hint of chocolate. On the palate, round, smooth tannins give way to intense fruit at the forefront. Spicy oak emerges to compliment the fruit flavors (cherry, other berry), leading to a nice fruit finish.

I can't say enough how impressed I was with this Zinfandel. It truly lives up to its hype, and does the Ravenswood family proud. Soft, supple tannins and a round flavor profile make this Zin a joy to drink, and it is extremely well balanced. It is full-bodied, but not heavy; fruity but not overly so; and just all-around yummy...It would be great with food, too!

My Grade: ++++

3 comments:

jana said...

My new favorite wine is Rex Goliath Zinfandel. It caught my eye because of the "old-timey" circus drawing label. It is super tasty and smooth. I'd love to hear your more refined description if you can find it! I've gotten it for about $8. :)

jana said...

Ashley! I meant pino, not zin; that might make it easier. :0)

Ashley said...

Jana,

Sorry it's taken me so (very) long to respond to your comments! My husband and I recently bought a house and have been busy moving in and getting settled, so I haven't kept up with my online stuff for a while!

Anyway, thanks a bunch for the recommendation! I always enjoy trying wines that other people like, especially when they're ones I normally wouldn't choose on my own. I'll have to see if I can find it on my next trip to World Market! =)

Post a Comment