Thursday, January 21, 2010

Yellow Tail Riesling, Aussie Style, $5

I bought this 2009 Yellow Tail Riesling from Walmart a few weeks ago. It cost just under $5 and was one of many Yellow Tail varieties offered there.

To start off, let me just say that I loved this wine. In fact, although it's a tough choice, I might go so far as to say that this one beats the Moselland German Riesling, and it cost about half as much.

The nose evokes an intense fruity aroma, and at first sniff, the acidity is obvious, but in no way offensive. Upon first taste, the acidity lends a light, refreshing note to the taste buds and is balanced out by just enough sweetness. Fruit flavors emerge in the form of apple, white grape, and a hint of pear. Yellow Tail also cites a hint of orange blossom that "may linger on the finish," but I can't say that I remember that particular flavor...Maybe my allergies are getting the best of my sense of taste too =(

To sum it up, this wine is definitely a crowd-pleaser. It would pair with a wide variety of different foods, and is definitely enjoyable on its own as well. I have to recommend it, and look forward to trying more of Yellow Tail's varieties in the future.

MY GRADE: ++

No comments:

Post a Comment