Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Different Day, Same Story...Almost

This morning, I'm drinking Gloria Jean's Hazelnut Coffee from our new Keurig and wondering why I still haven't bought any creamer! I've drank black coffee (with Splenda) for the past three days, and let me just say that although it hasn't been horrible (and if it was, would I still be drinking it? Who knows!), I'm just not a black coffee kind of person. I suppose I'll just have to make today's mission a trip to the grocery store, considering I'm out of milk, eggs, and bread too. It's too bad our [one and only] grocery store doesn't carry wine...our little town is dry, so we have to drive 30 miles in one of two directions to buy alcohol, and even then the selection is pretty limited. On a side note, I should probably say that I really don't drink very often, so even though this experiment revolves around wine, my experience with alcohol in general is limited. Case in point: My first glass of wine for this blog left me somewhat tipsy, even though the Arbor Mist only has 6% alcohol...This should be an interesting adventure!

At any rate, last night was much like the one before. After I made, ate, and cleaned up after supper, my fiance and I recommenced our respective "research". His next choice was Shiner Light--my mom got him a six-pack variety of Shiner because she didn't want him to feel left out during the bridal shower! He poured it from the bottle into a fresh beer mug from the freezer (which he was sure to put in as soon as he walked in the door!), and was exceedingly proud of his pouring skills--he achieved less foam than the night before! In the midst of his beer-pouring-professional glory, he took a more assured drink from the mug and didn't make any strange faces this time. His verdict? It didn't have the aftertaste that the Shiner Blonde did, but it "still wasn't Bud Light." I guess that once you find a favorite, nothing else can quite compete!

After I tried a sip of his beer (which still tasted similar to Coors Light to me), I picked a 14-ounce bordeaux glass from my new collection and poured myself another glass of the Arbor Mist Blackberry Merlot.


Okay, before I go any further, I have to say that the whole proper glass debate still has me confused. If anyone knows whether a merlot tastes better in a glass for a burgundy or a bordeaux, please let me know!


Last night's sample of the Arbor Mist tasted much like the one from night before, and as much as I tried to extend my senses, I came to the conclusion that my first assessment was about as complex as it was going to get. I thought I might have detected a hint of strawberry flavor in this glass, but it could have just been my imagination and the desire to find something more in there. The texture was also much the same; it was still a bright, refreshing wine until I let the remainder of my glass sit for a bit while I did some laundry--then it became slightly flat.

Speaking of laundry...I had decided to sit at my dining room table for last night's tasting, not considering that my dining room is connected by swinging doors to the laundry room. I had some towels in the dryer, and due to the lack of a seal on the connecting doors, the scent of laundry detergent and dryer sheets soon overcame any wine-related scent. At this point, I had already decided that I wasn't going to get any more complexity from this particular wine, so I just gave up and drank the rest of the wine without paying as careful attention to its characteristics.

I'm thinking of using the last of the wine when I cook my roast in a crock pot, so I guess this marks the end of my Arbor Mist Blackberry Merlot evaluation. As much as a true wine connoisseur would most likely dismiss this variety as nothing more than a typical low-end wine, I still stand by my opinion that it is a pleasing and refreshing (if quite simple) drink.

2 comments:

jana said...

My husband and I just had a conversation today at World Market about wine glasses...he's for buying a few glasses for different wines, I believe that if it holds liquid, it's good for wine!

Ashley said...

Haha, amen to that! From what I've read, the only difference in the various wine glasses is how much (or little) air they let in--i.e., the whole "red wines need to breathe in order to properly release their aromas and flavors" thing. I don't know about all of that--I just want to enjoy my wine! BUT I have noticed that the temperature of the wine does have significant impact on the taste, especially for heavier reds, which do tend to benefit from sitting for a while before drinking. If you're interested in learning more on the subject, I'm fixing to post a review of Barefoot's Zinfandel, which really seemed to be affected by temp!

Post a Comment