Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Canyon Wind Tempranillo, $20


A Sassy, Spicy Red

Since I finally caved and opened my "intended for a special occasion since I bought it on our honeymoon" Canyon Wind Desert Rosé (on a nondescript Tuesday, nonetheless), I decided I might as well make it two for two and uncork my Canyon Wind Tempranillo to enjoy.

Tempranillo is a grape of Spanish origin, and produces a characteristic plum-red wine. This particular bottle gives off aromas of cherry, plum, and smoky spices, along with a hint of oaky vanilla. The texture is velvety smooth, with lots of nice, balanced tannins and a medium-to-full body.

On the palate, the same richness continues: red berries and spice at the forefront, with oak rounding out the background and a hint of red plum to add interest. These flavors remain on a nice, long finish that leaves you wanting more. It's very balanced, low on the spectrum in both acidity and residual sugar, which is definitely not a bad thing--and there's still enough acid to add to the spicy "bite" of this wine.

This wine is everything I hoped it would be. It's complex, balanced, round, and elegant, and although it's more of a splurge than a bargain, I would buy this one again in a heartbeat if ever given the chance.

My Grade: +++

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the great review! You can always get some from www.canyonwindcellars.com

Post a Comment